Thanksgiving Day: How to Maximize Every Minute in Marathon
We’ll let you into a little secret; once you spend Thanksgiving Day with your family at Tranquility Bay, you won’t want to spend it anywhere else again. When the rest of the world is wrapping up for winter, the sun shines over the Florida Keys and the island chain offers every opportunity for adventure, relaxation and celebration.
Beach Front Paradise
As every family on vacation knows, plenty of space to enjoy each other’s company is a must! Families and groups of friends celebrating Thanksgiving Day together can indulge in spacious two or three-bedroom beach houses which are just minutes away from our private white sand beach. Ideal for families of four or larger groups of six, you can all wake up to views of the calm Gulf of Mexico, swaying palms and lush green pathways from your beautiful bedroom. Later in the day, retreat to your beachfront home for the finale of a perfect day: sunset over the Florida Keys.
A Feast Fit for a Family
Great food features highly on every family’s list of vacation must-haves, particularly over Thanksgiving. Book yourselves a table at our award-winning Butterfly Café and tuck into a fall feast with a tropical twist.
Our family-friendly restaurant features a covered patio for al fresco dining, while our indoor dining room offers an impressive space with its soaring ceiling. Escape the kitchen this Thanksgiving Day and leave the preparations with us.
Family Fun in and out of the Water
Whether you choose to lounge poolside or immerse yourself in a huge variety of ocean-based adventures, you’ll be in your element at Tranquility Bay. Pull up a seat at our refreshing lagoon-style pool which is perfect for the whole family, and when mom or dad need to escape for a little “me time”, there’s an adults-only relaxation pool onsite in addition to a putting green by Nicklaus Design. Take it in turns to switch off and relax this Thanksgiving Day.
Just moments from your beach house, you’ll step foot onto the powder-soft sand of our pristine private beach where a popular range of watersports are on offer, including kayaking and parasailing. When it’s time to cool down, our friendly team at beachside TJ’s Tiki Bar will quench your thirst with a frozen cocktail while you enjoy a leisurely lunch.
- Bahia Honda State Park: The park is celebrated for having one of the world’s top beaches and is home to many rare and unusual plants and animals.
- Crane Point: Visitors to this 64-acre protected park may tour the Museum of Natural History, Children’s Museum, Adderley Town Historic Site and Marathon Wild Bird Center, or explore the extensive nature trail system, an ideal stop on your Marathon Key vacation.
- Pigeon Key: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Pigeon Key served as a construction and maintenance camp for the Overseas Railroad during the early 1900s. The remarkable structures that remain provide a window back in time.
- Dolphin Research Center: Fun for the entire family, the Dolphin Research Center offers nature lovers, in-water encounters with marine mammals, as well as fascinating insight into their behavior.
- Turtle Hospital: Located next door to the resort, the Turtle Hospital is dedicated to the health and preservation of sea turtles. The Hospital offers guided, educational tours and a behind-the-scenes look at the rehabilitation of sick and injured turtles, something everyone in the family will appreciate on your Marathon FL vacation.
- Seven Mile Bridge: The longest bridge in the Keys is located at the southern end of Marathon and measures 35,716 ft. Take a family walk across the bridge and enjoy a majestic Florida Keys sunset.
- Sombrero Reef: Mile Marker 50, Oceanside. One of the most beautiful areas within the Keys’ living coral reef, Sombrero Reef is protected by the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuaries and is popular with eco-tourists who enjoy snorkeling and diving.
- Sombrero Beach: This 12.6-acre beach is one of the most popular vacation spots in Marathon. Renovated in 2003, the beach offers creative landscaping, walkways, picnic areas and a roped off swimming area.
- Coco Plum Beach: This small, natural beach is an enjoyable stop. It is a quiet, dog-friendly beach with clean-up baggies provided.