Monthly Archives: February 2013
Spring Break 2014 Family Activities in Marathon, Florida
The Florida Keys offer an array of family activity during the spring break period so it’s no wonder why guests flock to Tranquility Bay Resort in March and April. Marathon, Florida is far from a party town so families can rest easy knowing that Tranquility Bay is an excellent spring break destination for families in March and April, 2014.
As one of the best family resorts in the Florida Keys, we offer spacious two and three-bedroom beach houses that are ideal for families! If that’s not enough, kids love bouncing from our lagoon style tropical swimming pool and our white sand beach, located directly on the Gulf of Mexico.
You won’t have to go far for meals with casual dining at TJ’s Tiki Bar or try our award winning restaurant, Butterfly Cafe which has a fantastic kid’s menu. If you’re up to it, you can even cook a family feast in your own gourmet kitchen at Tranquility Bay.
Families and children especially love watching a gorgeous Florida Keys sunset, teeing up on our putting green, or enjoying an array of watersports, including: diving and snorkeling adventures, kayaking, paddle boarding, wave runners, Hobi Cat and small boat rentals and guided eco-tours.
Call 866-842-2512 to speak with an on-site vacation planner about spring break family vacations in 2014.
Florida Keys Spring Break Offers at Tranquility Bay
- Weekly Rate: Spend 5 nights and save more
- Weekday Retreat: Save more on weekdays
- Advance Purchase Savings: Book in advance and save
- View more spring break deals
View our Spacious Two and Three-Bedroom Beach Houses
These charming Florida Keys accommodations feature two-level living, ideal for up to four people. The beautifully proportioned first floor features a fully equipped gourmet kitchen, separate dining area for four, half bath and living room with 42-inch wall mounted plasma TV, and wireless internet.
French doors on both levels lead to spacious porches with spectacular, and unobstructed water views of the Gulf of Mexico. Laundry facilities and bedrooms are upstairs. View our Two-Bedroom Beach Houses or Three-Bedroom Beach Houses
If you’re willing to forego the kitchen and living room for a single-level guestroom, try our new Tropical Garden Guestrooms. A double queen guestroom can accommodate four guests, similar to hotel room accommodations.
Spring Break Family Vacation Ideas: Onsite Activities at Tranquility Bay
Featuring glorious weather year round and endless activities such as Florida Keys fishing, Marathon is an exciting destination for family vacations. With its exceptional setting, comprehensive facilities and knowledgeable staff, Tranquility Bay is the ideal choice for those who wish to experience all the Florida Keys have to offer, especially for those looking to the explore the awaiting adventures in our surrounding Florida Gulf waters.
Family Attractions in Marathon, Florida
- Bahia Honda State Park: The park is celebrated for having one of the world’s top beaches and is home to many rare and unusual plants and animals.
- Crane Point: Visitors to this 64-acre protected park may tour the Museum of Natural History, Children’s Museum, Adderley Town Historic Site and Marathon Wild Bird Center, or explore the extensive nature trail system, an ideal stop on your Marathon Key vacation.
- Pigeon Key: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Pigeon Key served as a construction and maintenance camp for the Overseas Railroad during the early 1900s. The remarkable structures that remain provide a window back in time.
- Dolphin Research Center: Fun for the entire family, the Dolphin Research Center offers nature lovers, in-water encounters with marine mammals, as well as fascinating insight into their behavior.
- Turtle Hospital: Located next door to the resort, the Turtle Hospital is dedicated to the health and preservation of sea turtles. The Hospital offers guided, educational tours and a behind-the-scenes look at the rehabilitation of sick and injured turtles, something everyone in the family will appreciate on your Marathon FL vacation.
- Seven Mile Bridge: The longest bridge in the Keys is located at the southern end of Marathon and measures 35,716 ft. Take a family walk across the bridge and enjoy a majestic Florida Keys sunset.
- Sombrero Reef: Mile Marker 50, Oceanside. One of the most beautiful areas within the Keys’ living coral reef, Sombrero Reef is protected by the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuaries and is popular with eco-tourists who enjoy snorkeling and diving.
- Sombrero Beach: This 12.6-acre beach is one of the most popular vacation spots in Marathon. Renovated in 2003, the beach offers creative landscaping, walkways, picnic areas and a roped off swimming area.
- Coco Plum Beach: This small, natural beach is an enjoyable stop. It is a quiet, dog-friendly beach with clean-up baggies provided.
Some of the finest homes and lushest gardens on the islands of Marathon are to be open to the public during the Marathon Garden Club’s annual House & Garden Tour set for Saturday, March 2, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The annual tour showcases the Keys’ outdoor lifestyle and spotlights three of Marathon’s private single-family homes and waterfront island retreats. They include a tropical rainforest, Tuscan-influenced open one-level residence and grand 4.5-acre oceanfront estate called the Bait Shack. The homes and gardens can be visited in any order.
The garden club’s grounds at mile marker 50 bayside also are to be open for exploration, with weekend attractions including an art show featuring local watercolor artists.
A meet-and-greet artists’ reception is scheduled for 5-8 p.m. Friday, March 1, featuring hors d’oeuvres, drinks and live music. Admission to the reception and art events is free. Hours for the art show are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 2, and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, March 3. All displayed artwork is for sale.
Admission for the House & Garden Tour is $25 per person including light refreshments.
Tickets can be purchased at the garden club, located at 5270 Overseas Highway in Marathon; Key Bana Resort Apparel, 303 Sadowski Causeway on Key Colony Beach, and the Greater Marathon Chamber of Commerce, 12222 Overseas Highway in Marathon.
Event information: www.marathongardenclub.org or 305-743-4971
Fine artists and craftspeople from around the country are to spotlight their wares at the Pigeon Key Art Festival, set for the weekend of Feb. 23-24 at Marathon Airport, mile marker 54. The annual creative festival is set to transform the airport terminal and front access road into a tropically themed oasis of artwork, pottery, paintings, glass, sculpture, photography, jewelry and more. Each year artists demonstrate their skills during the show, giving attendees a glimpse of the techniques behind their original creations.
Now in its 19th year, the event is named for Pigeon Key, a small island beneath the Old Seven Mile Bridge that housed workers constructing the Over-Sea Railroad in the early 1900s and remains a Florida Keys cultural landmark today.
The festival features entertainment by Keys-based musicians including The Doerfels, Misery Loves Company, Brian Roberts & Rob DiStasi, Dave Feder, John Bartus, GearlJam and The Moondogs.
Other attractions include food and beverage booths serving local delicacies and sweet treats, an activity booth for children and the return of the Wyland Foundation to paint an official festival canvas with kids. A traditional Sunday art raffle concludes the weekend. Raffle tickets are to be available through 1 p.m. Sunday for a chance to win one of more than 100 pieces of artwork.
Festival hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $8 per person for adults, $4 for students and free for children under 12. Parking is free at the Marathon Airport and festival patrons can retain their ticket stubs and redeem them for a free ferry trip to Pigeon Key within one year of their show admission.
Proceeds from the event are to benefit the Pigeon Key Foundation. In addition, featured Islamorada artist Michelle Nicole Lowe is to paint a commemorative original art piece for the foundation that will be available at the show. Event information: pigeonkey.net or 305-509-2559
To book a two or three-bedroom beach house at Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort, call (855) 606-4502 while rooms last or visit www.tranquilitybay.com!